How to Identify your Skin Type : Signs, strengths, challenges & beauty moves
Attention all makeup lovers. I know it's been said before but skin care truly is the key for a flawless makeup finish. Skin care is like preparing a canvas for a beautiful painting. You want to prime and smooth the surface so that your painting will be perfect.
Identifying your skin type can be a bit tricky particularly if you have combination skin (which can easily be confused with oily skin). Here are some tips to help you identify your skin type so that you can create a proper skin care regimen for beautiful skin.
Dry skin is characterized by the appearance of dull skin. This skin type can present a lack of elasticity, fine lines and overall lack of moisture.
- Strengths: Makeup tends to last longer on dry skin.
- Challenges: Dry skin tends to age quicker.
- Beauty Move: Generous hydration is recommended. Look for gentle cleansers and moisturizers that add hydration to your skin.
Oily skin is characterized by it's shiny and thick appearance. Large pores are usually visible. This skin type may be prone to acne and blackheads due to overactive sebaceous glands.
- Strengths: Oily skin tends to age slower.
- Challenges: Makeup does not last very long and maybe prone to acne.
- Beauty Move: Look for moisturizers that are made specifically for oily skin to avoid clogging pores and adding oil to skin.
Combination skin is characterized by presenting an oily T zone (forehead, nose and chin) and dryness in the cheek and eye area. It can often be confused with oily skin and is the most common skin type.
- Strengths: Slower aging in T Zone.
- Challenges: Faster aging in dry areas.
- Beauty Move: Combine your skin care for best results. Use oily skin care for your T zone and dry skin care for your dry areas.
Which skin type do you have? We'd love to connect with you. Share your findings and beauty moves in the comments below.